Monday, January 16, 2012

Soul Screamers #1- My Soul to Take by Rachel Vincent: Review

She doesn't see dead people. She senses when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally.

Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest guy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about her need to scream than she does. And when classmates start dropping dead for no apparent reason, only Kaylee knows who'll be next.
This is my second time reading the Soul Screamers series. So why am I doing so in spite of my gigantic TBR pile? Well, first off, Rachel @ Fiktshun is hosting a Soul Screamers Reading Challenge, and I'm participating. Second, Before I Wake is coming out in five months. Five months! And I want to reread the series and refresh my memory. And lastly? This is one hell of a series- I would have reread it anyway, challenge or no!

So for my review, I'm not gonna do my usual review with The Bad and The Good and The Awesome sections. The Soul Screamers is one- and will always be- one my top favorite books, and I can't say a single bad thing about the series. At all. 

My Soul to Take was such an amazing read. (Or should I say reread?) It wasn't just full of paranormal goodness, but it had tons of mystery. This was one of my favorite elements of the book, because there's nothing more I love better than a good mystery. And boy, does Rachel know how to spin a good one! I honestly did not see what was coming. Of course, that was during the first time I read it. This time, I knew who the "bad guy" was, and I gotta say, it made me see that character in a whole new light this time!

And not only that, My Soul to Take had suspense. It had adventure. Romance. Nerve wracking tension. And what's more? It was full of humor. I just had to love Kaylee, our snarky and sarcastic heroine. I loved the way she thinks and how she makes an impossibly dark situation lighter. And Kaylee's not the only funny character- I'm not forgetting about Tod!

Ah, Tod. To be honest, I was looking forward to his appearance the whole start of the book! And when his name finally appeared, I broke out into a wide grin. I mean, dude, it's TOD! Ahem. Anyway, this reread was different- because the first time I read it, I was totally Team Nash. Now though, Team Tod FTW! ;)

(Aren't you just proud of me? Apart from Tod's name is caps, I didn't even go all fan girl on him! :P)

The Rating
Five stars all the way! My Soul to Take is an awesome introduction to this series, and it sucked me in right away. This is my second time reading this, but I enjoyed it as much as I did the first time I read. Even more, I think. I enjoyed being back in the Soul Screamers world, because there's simply nothing quite like it. 

Cover Wars
I just couldn't resist putting this part in. My friend and I were arguing as to which cover was better. US or UK? She likes the US version, and I do too, but I kinda find the UK cover more striking. Any thoughts? 


And that's it. To wrap up this long review, I'll ask you one question: Have you read this yet? If not, then you are missing out big time. Drop what you're reading, AND GO READ THIS NOW!

That is all. 

Jen @ Midnight Book Thief
---------

So, have you read My Soul to Take? Loved it? Love Tod? ;) Which cover do you prefer and why?

Care to Share?  

2 comments:

  1. Great series. And I agree. The UK version is more attention getting, but I think I prefer the US one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I love it so much! :D Lol, you said the exact same thing my friend said! I think the UK version kinda freaked her out. :P

      Delete

Don't just sit there with your mouth hanging open. Flies will get in. Why don't you leave a comment instead and allow me to get a peek of those thoughts running in that brain of yours?