Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Soul Screamers #0.5- My Soul to Lose by Rachel Vincent: Review


It was supposed to be a fun day, shopping at the mall with her best friend. Then the panic attack started and Kaylee Cavanaugh finds herself screaming, unable to stop. Her secret fears are exposed and it's the worst day of her life.

Until she wakes up in the psychiatric unit.

She tries to convince everyone she's fine--despite the shadows she sees forming around another patient and the urge to scream which comes burbling up again and again. Everyone thinks she's crazy. Everyone except Lydia, that is. Another patient with some special abilities....
My Soul to Lose is the prequel novella to the Soul Screamers series, and I must say, it had the whole novella thing down! It was a quick fun read, and it did a perfect job introducing us to the Soul Screamers world. It revealed just enough hints to get the readers curious, but it managed to do so without revealing anything major. After reading this novella, readers are sure to pick up the next book!

What I loved the most about this novella was its mysterious air towards it. Kaylee, upon freaking out in the mall when someone dies- and forced to sing for his soul- is placed in a mental institute. I loved how Rachel Vincent just gave a glimpse into the series- we most definitely know that Kaylee isn't your average teenager- but what is she, exactly?

Kaylee goes though a hard time in the hospital- because she knows she not crazy. She proves her strength to us, that she's not just some TSTL heroine, but one kick ass one, as she proves repeatedly over the course of the series. She's able to hang on to her sanity, despite being locked up with the crazies, and make it through the whole ordeal.

And that ending! I've got to say, that was one eerie ending. Mildly disturbing, but nothing too serious... In a good way. :) Lydia, I have got to say, is one of the most freaky characters out there! But for those who haven't read the series yet, watch out for her reappearance. She's more important that Rachel lets on. ;)

5 stars to this novella! When I first finished reading My Soul to Lose, some of my questions were answered. But so many new ones emerged. I was hooked, right from the very start. And two novellas and five full length novels after, I still am. So, totally hooked. And I'm loving every second of it! :D

Jen @ Midnight Book Thief

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't just sit there with your mouth hanging open. Flies will get in. Why don't you leave a comment instead and allow me to get a peek of those thoughts running in that brain of yours?