Friday, May 18, 2012

Soul Screamers #4.5- Reaper by Rachel Vincent: Review


Tod Hudson was a typical teenager. He liked girls, sports, food and tolerated his younger brother, Nash. In fact, he had his whole life in front of him--and due to his bean sidhe heritage, it was going to be a very long life indeed. And then the car accident occurred.

Suddenly Tod's future wasn't so sure, and he had to make a choice. Life... Death... or something Between....
Of all the Soul Screamers novella, this is my favorite one, and always will be. Reaper was amazing, and I enjoyed every second of it. It not only gave us a glimpse into Tod's mind, but it answered so many questions I had about the Hudsons' past. 

While I enjoyed Reaper, this novella was painful to read. Why? It screamed "sacrifice", and it was heartbreaking. You're sure to see Tod in a new way after reading this. I just couldn't believe Tod gave up everything for Nash- it was just so unbelieveably sweet and selfless.

On a brighter side, this novella was full of Tod's sarcasm, and they often made crack up. Come on, who else makes jokes about Death? And in this case, I'm talking about it literally. Reaper was full of laugh out loud moments which never failed to lighten the mood. 

Here's my favorite passage from the novella:
The reaper shifted in his seat, but made no move to stand. “That’s what you were buried in.” His careless gesture took in my stiff shirt and the pressed black pants I’d never seen in my life.

I looked like a waiter.
So yeah, I'm giving this 6 stars. It was the perfect quick read, and the fact that it was Tod narrating it probably helped. ;) It was the perfect blend of heartbreak and humor, and I couldn't help but wish this novella would turn into a full length novel. 

Jen @ Midnight Book Thief

1 comment:

Don't just sit there with your mouth hanging open. Flies will get in. Why don't you leave a comment instead and allow me to get a peek of those thoughts running in that brain of yours?