Friday, February 10, 2012

Unleashed by Nancy Holder and Debbie Viguie: Review

Katelyn McBride’s life changed in an instant when her mother died. Uprooted from her California home, Katelyn was shipped to the middle of nowhere, Arkansas, to her only living relative, her grandfather. And now she has to start over in Wolf Springs, a tiny village in the Ozark Mountains. Like any small town, Wolf Springs has secrets. But the secrets hidden here are more sinister than Katelyn could ever imagine. It’s a town with a history that reaches back centuries, spans continents, and conceals terrifying truths. And Katelyn McBride is about to change everything.

Broken families, ageless grudges, forced alliances, and love that blooms in the darkest night—welcome to Wolf Springs.
Ah, Unleashed. I gotta admit, I picked up this book with mixed expectations. For one, I've read some bad reviews about this book. However, I'm a big fan of Debbie's and Nancy's books, so I gave it a shot.

The Bad
The romance. Noooo. Ugh, please no. There wasn't that much romance in this book as compared to hormone controlled lust fests. Crude, I know, but that's how I saw it. Katelyn, upon seeing a guy, could only use the word "hot" to describe him before going all gaga for him. It just felt so wrong!

The writing. As much as it pains me to admit this, the writing was mediocre. I mean, look, the YA book market's oversaturated with werewolf books. To write yet another book about them, you gotta make yours stand out. Sadly though, Unleashed didn't really make a lasting impression. It didn't bring anything new to this paranormal aspect at all.

The Good
The plot. Yes, I know I said the plot wasn't all that great, but it was decent. While the pacing was a bit slow, it wasn't that dragging, so I finished this book pretty fast. However, I did like the ending part. The last part of the book was my favorite, and props to the cliffhanger ending!

The Rating
I'm guessing this book gets 3 stars from me. It was actually a decent read that had some pretty good moments. It's just that this story could have been so much more, with two amazing authors writing it. I was just so disappointed when it just kinda fell flat instead of becoming a favorite read. But yeah, the plot's okay enough that I'll be picking up the sequel when it comes out.

Jen @ Midnight Book Thief
----------
So... what'd you think of this book? Yay or nay?
Care to Share? 

3 comments:

  1. Great review! I have mixed feelings on whether or not I should pick this one up. I think I might give it a go as it does sound like it has a few positives, especially if you'll still be picking up the sequel. :) Thanks for the honest post!

    Stephanie @ Stepping Out of the Page
    Drop by & enter my International Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) I still have mixed feelings over this book too- it was good, and it was bad. :P But who know, you might like it!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I really want there to be a book 2 i thourally ebjoyed this book and the ending was amazing please please please let there be a second book because i really want to see what happens to kat and cordelia. And what happens between kat and trick and kat and justin. please do another book!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Don't just sit there with your mouth hanging open. Flies will get in. Why don't you leave a comment instead and allow me to get a peek of those thoughts running in that brain of yours?