Sunday, November 13, 2011

Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini: Review


How do you defy destiny?
Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is—no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. At school she's haunted by hallucinations of three women weeping tears of blood . . . and when Helen first crosses paths with Lucas Delos, she has no way of knowing they're destined to play the leading roles in a tragedy the Fates insist on repeating throughout history.
As Helen unlocks the secrets of her ancestry, she realizes that some myths are more than just legend. But even demigod powers might not be enough to defy the forces that are both drawing her and Lucas together—and trying to tear them apart.
You guys probably know that like all bloggers, I write reviews for free- mainly because I simply want to share my thoughts on the book I read. For this case however... Well, I have an ulterior motive. :) Josephine Angelini is giving away an ARC of Dreamless, and all you have to do in order to be entered in the contest is to post a review somewhere. So here I am, writing this. Now, I read Starcrossed months ago- so I don't really remember the details that much. Plus, it was before my pre-blogging days, so no review for that.

Anyway, where do I start? I remembered loving Starcrossed. There were so many things that drew me in. The cover is completely gorgeous, so bonus points for that. That's what made me obsessed with reading the book as soon as I could in spite of my huge TBR pile. Of course, Dreamless' cover is just as amazing. Here's both book covers side by side:


Okay, so enough with the eye candy and on to the plot. Starcrossed was pretty good. I love all mythology, especially Greek. And of course, the whole Helen of Troy was a totally unique plot twist. I devoured the book quickly- and that was a pretty thick book!

One of the things I love about Starcrossed was that there wasn't insta-love like in many other YA books- I actually loved the fact that Helen wanted to kill Lucas at first! I wanted them together, but then there's the whole forbidden love thing... Well, I found it a bit annoying, since I'm not a fan of those, but thank God that there was no love triangle.

True, Starcrossed did remind me a bit of Twilight... But it's way cooler that Twilight. And I had a love-hate relationship with Helen's mom, but hopefully things will get patched up in Dreamless. I have high hopes for that book, and hopefully it will surpass Starcrossed.

Starcrossed was a quick fun read, but it didn't really create an impact on me. Yes, I enjoyed it, but it was a tad forgettable. Right now, I've forgotten what the Scions, Outcasts, and Rogues are. Plus there was a huge character list- so I pretty got confused with the HUGE Delos clan. But aside from that, I didn't find anything wrong with the book.

Overall, I give the book 4 out of 5 stars. I'd give it 5, but I'm going through a phase wherein I only love books that are about survival. But in a way, Helen was fighting for her life, so it was pretty good. I recommend it to fans of Greek mythology, and those who love a good forbidden romance. And if you also love characters with kick-ass super powers, then this book is for you.

Jen @ Midnight Book Thief

----------

Have you also read Starcrossed? If so, what were your thoughts on it? Do you love the covers as much as I do? Let me know!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't just sit there with your mouth hanging open. Flies will get in. Why don't you leave a comment instead and allow me to get a peek of those thoughts running in that brain of yours?