Friday, March 30, 2012

Soul Screamers #3- Soul to Keep by Rachel Vincent: Review


Kaylee has one addiction: her very hot, very popular boyfriend, Nash. A banshee like Kaylee, Nash understands her like no one else. Nothing can come between them. Until something does. 
Demon breath. 
No, not the toothpaste-challenged kind. The Netherworld kind. The kind that really can kill you. Somehow the super-addictive substance has made its way to the human world. But how? Kaylee and Nash have to cut off the source and protect their friends—one of whom is already hooked. 
And so is someone else…
My Soul to Keep is the third book in the Soul Screamers series. And for me, this book is one of the major turning points of the series. This is where things started to go downhill for Kaylee, and her perfect world- well, as perfect as it can be, anyways- is shattered.

To be honest, I didn't really like this book compared to the others in the series. Why? It frustrated me. Nash and Kaylee's issues made me want to thump them. All the secrecy, the betrayals, the hurtings- made me feel full blast frustration. 

Now that I think about it, I think the main reason why I didn't like it that much during the first time I read it was Nash's betrayal. Back then, I was Team Nash, and it hurt to see their relationship go down the drain. What he did... It disgusted me, shocked me, infuriated me. But then again, I guess that was essential for Kaylee and Tod to happen. 

But it spite of that, I did like this book. The ending completely made up for whatever frustration (Yup, third time using this word. That's just how frustrated I felt.) I felt earlier. I have to say, I did NOT see that huge twist. 

The Rating
So overall, I give this book 4 stars. The plot picks up in the middle part, full with Vincent's signature twists and turns, and it did not disappoint. I completely did not expect the bigger picture- for the first half of the book, I only thought Kaylee had Demon's Breath to deal with. Turns out, she's up against something way bigger, trust me. She's gonna need all the help she can get- or else everyone she loves- and knows- will become Netherworld chowder. 

So bear with the first part and whatever annoyance you might feel against Kaylee and Nash, because I promise you, the ending WILL be worth it.

Jen @ Midnight Book Thief
----------

So I have conflicting views on this book. What about you? Did Nash's actions infuriate you? What do you think will happen next? And which cover do you prefer? If you manage to answer all my questions, I'll give you a cyber cookie. :)

Care to Share?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't just sit there with your mouth hanging open. Flies will get in. Why don't you leave a comment instead and allow me to get a peek of those thoughts running in that brain of yours?