Monday, October 24, 2011

The Maze Runner #3- The Death Cure by James Dashner: Review

Click the pic to be linked to GoodReads
Thomas knows that Wicked can't be trusted, but they say the time for lies is over, that they've collected all they can from the Trials and now must rely on the Gladers, with full memories restored, to help them with their ultimate mission. It's up to the Gladers to complete the blueprint for the cure to the Flare with a final voluntary test. 
What Wicked doesn't know is that something's happened that no Trial or Variable could have foreseen. Thomas has remembered far more than they think. And he knows that he can't believe a word of what Wicked says.
The time for lies is over. But the truth is more dangerous than Thomas could ever imagine.
Will anyone survive the Death Cure?

You know how there's some books that you love so much that you just have to devour it in one sitting? And then regret it afterwards for not savoring the book? Yeah, this happened to me with this one. I could NOT stop thinking about this book! I just literally finished this book a few minutes ago, and my thoughts are still a bit incoherent. But I will try to write a review that is as sane as possible.

Okay... so where do I start? This is one hell of a book. James Dashner is bloody brilliant. The world he has created is not only captivating, but dangerous and heart-pounding as well. I remember when I read The Maze Runner last summer, and found the whole thing to be quite impossible. All that went to my head was that, "Damn, this author must have a pretty good explanation for this one!" And surprise, surprise, he did! But since I'm reviewing The Death Cure and not The Maze Runner, more on that later.

One main thing I love about this book is that it's main concept is survival. I've read all too many books with it's main point being love- Oh no, we're not meant to be! We can never be together! But no! I can't last a day without him! Oh I'll miss him so much! 


Saps.


I swear, one more book like that, and I'd be all:





Now where was I?

Oh yes, like I said. Survival. As I read the book, I couldn't help but feel what Thomas and the rest were going through. All the fear of being caught, the suffering and pain of losing their friends... Survival being the main point of the story is actually sensible, and it's one that gripped me from the start. I mean, who cares about love when you could die any moment? And speaking of dying...

This book was painful to read. So many characters from the start, characters you have grown to love and care for, gone. All gone. I remember feeling sad when Chuck died back in book one, but the death scene of another beloved character in this book.... well, let's just say that it almost made me teary-eyed. And no book has ever made me cry before. Ever. I won't say who, so that I won't spoil anything. But there was yet another character who died, but since I wasn't a big fan of that person, I wan't all that sad.

Now for the ending... It almost made me want to smack Dashner in the head. I mean, it was good- they found a solution to their problems. But even if it was a bit anti-climatic, however, I wan't expecting it, so it was okay, I guess. I'm having a hard time explaining my thoughts on the ending- I have conflicted feelings towards it. I mean, I was happy the Gladers got their happy ending, but after all the excitement and tension prior to that, it just felt a bit... okay. Just... okay. Eh, I'm making no sense. Shuck it (Sorry, I just could not resist putting that!) , they lived happily ever after, I'm gonna shut up about my complaints and be happy.

Unlike some books *cough* Mockingjay *cough* which made me want to tear my hair out until I look like this:



Ahem... a random experience while reading the book: Remember the car scene where they were escaping, and Cranks start attacking them, and they're trapped inside? Now the scary part was that I was reading this as well in the car. At night. In the parking lot, alone in the back seat. *shudders* Not a pretty experience...

But anyway. I rate this book... 6 out of 5 stars. Yes, I'm giving this a six as well. I loved the series so much I was able to look over its flaws. It was unique, completely original, and one hell of a ride. I'm just really sad it's over, but I'm looking forward to more of Dashner's books. I totally recommend this book to everyone- especially to dystopian lovers and fans of Hunger Games and Gone.

.....My head is still reeling with that ending.....

WICKED is good.


I just could not resist putting that tiny spoiler. Because in a way, it's true. Okay, I'll end this before I spoil anything major. :D

Jen @ The Midnight Book Thief

--------------


Did you also read The Death Cure? Loved it as much as I did? Hated it? I would love to know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't just sit there with your mouth hanging open. Flies will get in. Why don't you leave a comment instead and allow me to get a peek of those thoughts running in that brain of yours?