Thursday, October 6, 2011

Soul Screamers #5- If I Die by Rachel Vincent: Review

(Click the pic to be linked to GoodReads)

Now I lay me down to sleep
I pray the Lord my soul to keep
Watch over me throughout the night 
And make me safe by morning light 
If I should die before I wake 
I pray the Lord my soul to take

I'm never gonna be able to look at this prayer the same way ever again without thinking of Soul Screamers. Rachel Vincent has created a brand new and definitely unique world with this series. The latest book, If I Die, is the fifth one so far.

So... how many stars does this book deserve? I don't know, but I do know that five stars doesn't even cover half of it. That's how amazing this book is. Right from the start, the booked sucked me in. You know that rare moment when you read a book so good, you get lost in it and your surroundings just fade away? Yeah, that happened to me when I read this. I mean, the first chapter delivers a huge sucker punch right into your gut. And that's not it. Rachel Vincent drops bombshell after bombshell, and just when you think it can't get any worse, it does.

This books has it all- humor, accompanied with lots and lots of sarcasm, suspense which keeps you reading until you reach the end, and a messy love triangle you can't help but want to end. And the characters... Don't even get me started on that.

*spoiler alert in paragraph!*
Kaylee is an amazing protagonist. Admittedly, I hated her in the fourth book. I couldn't understand why she couldn't just let go of Nash. Then surprise, surprise, she does! Now, that part made me so happy- She finally ends up with Tod! I guess I'm clearly Team Tod, eh?

Let's just say that the book had a lot of twists you wouldn't expect, and you get to appreciate the characters more. I certainly liked Sabine more, and even encountered a certain character from the prequel again! The ending was... how do I say this, obvious, in an unexpected way. I mean, I knew Kaylee wouldn't die, but I knew she would somehow. But that's the whole point that made the story so frustrating- Kaylee knowing about her death led to it. But all in all, I thoroughly enjoyed the whole book, and the last lines left me breathless.

I want more. More Soul Screamers. More of Rachel Vincent's stories.

More of Tod. :)

Isn't he adorable? :D

I give this book 6 out of 5 stars. Because it was that awesome. I recommend this to everyone, YA lovers and paranormal fan alike. Now for the long wait for Before I Wake.....

(This is my first-ever proper review. How did I do? :D)

~The Midnight Book Thief

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't just sit there with your mouth hanging open. Flies will get in. Why don't you leave a comment instead and allow me to get a peek of those thoughts running in that brain of yours?