Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Divergent by Veronica Roth: Review


In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself. 

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves… or it might destroy her. 

Debut author Veronica Roth bursts onto the literary scene with the first book in the Divergent series—dystopian thrillers filled with electrifying decisions, heartbreaking betrayals, stunning consequences, and unexpected romance.

Oh my. This book... This book was WOW. I'm speechless. This book was utterly amazing. This review was extremely difficult to write...

The Bad.
The names. I was having such a hard time thinking of something about this book which I didn't like. And the only thing I didn't like were the names. Yes, shallow of me, I know, but that was the only thing I could come up with! I didn't like Tris' real name- sorry all Beatrices out there- and Four's real name. But then, I liked all the rest, so this is like the crappiest "The Bad" review I've ever done. :P

The Awesome.
The book. I'm skipping "The Good", and going staight right to the awesome. Because that's what the whole book was. Heaps and heaps of awesomeness rolled into one book called "Divergent". I can't even begin to describe just how much I adored this book.

The concept. Okay, the idea? Totally genius. This is dystopian fiction at its best, you guys! The world Roth created? Scary, dangerous, and utterly captivating. It's seriously unlike any book I've ever read before. I mean, the idea of picking one faction to spend the rest of your life in- or become factionless, an outcast- is terrifying. And what's worse? Their perfect little organized world is not as perfect as they thought.

The characters. I love Tris. I love Four. Heck, I love them all! (Except Peter. He's an ass.) They're placed through hell, and constantly pushed to their limits, but they always pull through whatever predicament they're in. They're stronger than I ever thought they could be, and they constantly surprise me.

The ending. Ah crap. What an ending indeed! Roth, you cruel little thing, do you enjoy torturing us? Those last few chapters were so freaking painful to read, plus she left it with so many inanswered questions! I need to know what happens next!!! It wasn't a killer cliffie, but a cliffie all the same.

The Romance. I love Tris and Four together. I love how they fell in love. It wasn't insta-love, thank God. Slowly, they gain each other's trust through special moments. And that first kiss- Whoa. I love it so much! Plus, there's no love triangle! Tris amd Four all the way!!! :D (I refuse to call Four by his real name. He will forever remain Four to me.)

The Rating. Even the biggest idiot on Earth would know I'm giving this book 6 out of 5 stars. I'm even running out of descriptions to describe just how AMAZING this was! After reading this book, my standards got raised up way higher. I don't care what genre you like, go read this, NOW. This is so worth bumping up your TBR pile. But a little warning though- this is NOT for the faint of heart.

Now only if I had Insurgent right now... The wait will not be easy....


And if you've lived under a rock for the past months, here's the cover of Insurgent: 



Pretty, right? Now I just hope I survive the wait.

Jen @ Midnight Book Thief


1 comment:

  1. This is not the normal type of books I read, far from it, but I would have to say it was hard to put down. Even though this book was thought of as a children's or young adult book, it is truly not. It is violent but with a perpose and the underline story line will make you think. What I really liked about the book was the fact that not everything in the book was predictable, some is, but some...well I will leave that for you to read. I would highly recommend this book to any adult, but as for children, read it first and then decide.

    ReplyDelete

Don't just sit there with your mouth hanging open. Flies will get in. Why don't you leave a comment instead and allow me to get a peek of those thoughts running in that brain of yours?