Sunday, December 25, 2011

The Iron Fey #1- The Iron King by Julie Kagawa: Review

\

Meghan Chase has a secret destiny; one she could never have imagined. Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home.

When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change. But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face; and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.

All the books I've read so far were utterly amazing- and the streak continues on with the Iron King.

A little history first. The Iron Fey has been around for ages- but I never picked them up. They were just sitting there, begging to be read. Then one day, I see the cover for the Iron Knight. And boy, was it hot. The a few weeks after, I discover that I won a copy! So, estatic little me began reading the series, hoping to finish by the time I get the book.

The Bad
.... Gosh, I can't find anything wrong with it! Why?!? I mean, look at my review of Divergent- I adored the book and gave it 6 stars, but I was able to scrounge up something that I didn't like about it! But for this book?!?

Yeah, I can't.

The Good
The charaters. I love Meghan. She's an amazing heroine. She isn't whiny or a complete wimp. No, she's determined, brave, and loyal to the end. I also adored Kagawa's other characters, Ash and Puck. Puck is the bestfriend I wish I had- he's caring but funny as hell. And Ash... Well, I'm Team Ash all the way. I just gotta love that ice prince! Kagawa developed her charaters perfectly, and I couldn't help but love them.

The Awesome
The world. Okay, you see guys, this is the reason why I love fantasy. Kagawa makes the most out of this genre and pumps the book full of fey goodness.

The only thing I regret? Not reading this book sooner.

The plot. It was fast paced, engrossing, and utterly captivating. I absolutely loved the adventure and how the story progressed. I loved how Meghan's loyalty for her brother leads her across the Nevernever, and the journey was one hell of a ride. And I absolutely loved the twist in the story, when they realize that they're up against something way bigger.

The ending. Oh gosh. As the story reached its end, I was in a daze. I couldn't finish the story fast enough, but at the same way, I didn't want this story to end. My emotions were in a mess in the last few chapters. I didn't know how to feel- I felt Meghan's pain and her despair, but I could sense her determination to defeat the Iron King and rescue her brother no matter what. And that part where those pack rats arrived and gave Meghan the wood? I wanted to hug them so tightly and squeeze the life out of them.

The Rating
5 out of 5 stars for me, no questions asked. The Iron Fey is now my favorite fairy series, and it takes this fairytale into a whole new level. It had eveything I'm looking for- action, adventure, romance, comedy, suspense, and even mystery! Nothing can match Kagawa's ingenuity and wild imagination.

Luckily, the entire series has already been released, and knowing me, I'm gonna devour the entire series as soon as I can!

Jen @ Midnight Book Thief
-----------

Wow, that was long! So did you love this book as well? Let me know!

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you! The Iron Fey series are AMAZING! Truly, they are. I've read all of Julie's books and I absolutely love them!

    I'm a Team Ash, Puck, Meghan AND Grimalkin fan, Lol.

    :)

    ReplyDelete

Don't just sit there with your mouth hanging open. Flies will get in. Why don't you leave a comment instead and allow me to get a peek of those thoughts running in that brain of yours?