Friday, March 16, 2012

Spellbound by Cara Lynn Shultz: Review

What's a girl to do when meeting The One means she's cursed to die a horrible death?
Life hasn't been easy on sixteen-year-old Emma Connor, so a new start in New York may be just the change she needs.But the posh Upper East Side prep school she has to attend? Not so much. Friendly faces are few and far between, except for one that she's irresistibly drawn to—Brendan Salinger, the guy with the rock-star good looks and the richest kid in school, who might just be her very own white knight.
But even when Brendan inexplicably turns cold, Emma can't stop staring. Ever since she laid eyes on him, strange things have been happening. Streetlamps go out wherever she walks, and Emma's been having the oddest dreams: visions of herself in past lives—visions that warn her to stay away from Brendan. Or else.

Wow. Okay, Spellbound... Just whoa.

The Bad
The beginning. The starting part of the book was slow. I thought it was another average YA book where heroine falls in love with a hot rich guy. I thought that the reincarnation concept was overused, and that the book would be full of cliches. Yeah, I was wrong. 

The Awesome
The plot. Remember when I said I thought this was another cliche? I am so glad I was wrong. Spellbound was anything but cliched! The reincarnation plot was so well written, and it just felt so real. There wasn't a single dull moment in it- it had everything that I love!

The humor. Okay, this book is so unlike other YA books. Why? It made me laugh. Like snort/ giggle/ break down laughing kinda thing. The author just placed so many hilarious comments in it, and I couldn't help but crack up! Emma's narration was really entertaining, and she has the most amusing inner monolgues ever!

The characters. Finally. Finally, we have a tough heroine. We have a unique one, not one of those damsels in distress or TSTL MCs. Emma is full of spunk. She's funny, sarcastic, yet so sweet and caring. And she's tough as hell. She wasn't afraid to stand up for her little cousin, and, and.... Yeah, let's just say she's awesome. :D

And Brendan. Whoa, does Shultz know how to make us drool or what? I love the way she wrote the characters- Brendan, Emma, Angelique- heck, even Anthony and Kristin! She has a knack for making them realistic- not too perfect (with the exception of Brendan ;) ) but flawed. And I love them for that. 

The Rating
Yeah, a full 5 stars for this book. I totally did not expect to enjoy Spellbound this much, but I did. I enjoyed every single minute of this, from the beginning, up to the explosive ending. There were so many twists, shocking revelations and laugh out loud moments that I totally lost count. I totally recommend this book to everyone! Needless to say, Spellbound got me under its spell. ;) And yes, when Spellcaster gets released, I am so reading it as soon as I can! I need more of Emma and Brendan!!!

... Yeah, I don't know if I can concentrate on another book just yet. My head's still reeling with that ending!

Jen @ Midnight Book Thief

Care to Share?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't just sit there with your mouth hanging open. Flies will get in. Why don't you leave a comment instead and allow me to get a peek of those thoughts running in that brain of yours?