Friday, January 27, 2012

Fracture by Megan Miranda: Review


Eleven minutes passed before Delaney Maxwell was pulled from the icy waters of a Maine lake by her best friend Decker Phillips. By then her heart had stopped beating. Her brain had stopped working. She was dead. And yet she somehow defied medical precedent to come back seemingly fine

—despite the scans that showed significant brain damage. Everyone wants Delaney to be all right, but she knows she's far from normal. Pulled by strange sensations she can't control or explain, Delaney finds herself drawn to the dying. Is her altered brain now predicting death, or causing it?

Then Delaney meets Troy Varga, who recently emerged from a coma with similar abilities. At first she's reassured to find someone who understands the strangeness of her new existence, but Delaney soon discovers that Troy's motives aren't quite what she thought. Is their gift a miracle, a freak of nature-or something much more frightening?

For fans of best-sellers like Before I Fall and If I Stay, this is a fascinating and heart-rending story about love and friendship and the fine line between life and death.

Wow. Okay, this book was different from any book I've ever read. I started this book thinking I'd be reading about a paranormal book- I mean, who wouldn't, based from the summary? But then I read it, and as I got further, I discovered I was wrong. This book wasn't a paranormal one- it was contempory with a paranormal twist to it.

I don't know what to say. I'm not a fan of contemporary, so this was a first. Fracture was not a light read. It was seriously messed up, and it was dark. Delany awakes from a coma, but she's not the same. She can sense when people are about to die. But not only that, she's broken. Dying, on the inside.

But inspite of that, I liked this book. Fracture might have been dark, but it had a beautiful message. It showed the meaning and beauty of life. Though to be honest, I first got lost. During the first half to the story, I didn't get the point of it. Troy just frankly creeped me out, and I thought Delany was an idiot for talking to him after what happened. But later on, I understood him. Troy was broken on the inside as well, quietly suffering. And as twisted as his actions were, I understood his reasoning behind it. 

And Decker... He was the perfect friend. Loyal to the very end, and fiercely protective. He was my favorite character, and his love for Delany was touching. And Delany was tough. Her world was falling apart, but she struggled amd made it through. I admire her courage and resilience, because she did not give up fighting. She believed in life, and the goodness in it. 

I give this book 4 stars. Like I said before, it was anything but a light read. The turn of events during the end shocked me- I did not see that coming. At all. And not only that, the very last few pages were extremely beautiful and heartwarming, and I loved the way they were written. So this book was a first to me, and I'm happy to say that I didn't hate it! ;)

Jen @ Midnight Book Thief

Care to Share?  

4 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome! I'm really looking forward to it! I love dark intense reads. And it sounds like there were a lot of shocks and twists too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! It totally was intense. Seriously twisty contemporary. :P

      Delete
  2. tnx 4 your thoughts
    i soooooo soooo want it

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to read this book for a while now! It sounds awesome; and I love endings that surprise the heck out of me. Thanks for the well-written and insightful review! =D
    New follower!

    -Shanon @ Escaping With Fiction

    ReplyDelete

Don't just sit there with your mouth hanging open. Flies will get in. Why don't you leave a comment instead and allow me to get a peek of those thoughts running in that brain of yours?