Sunday, January 1, 2012

Never to Sleep by Rachel Vincent: Review



Don't Close Your Eyes.
Sophie Cavanaugh is not going to let her freak of a cousin's strange psychiatric condition ruin high school for them both. Not after all the work she's put into cultivating the right look, and friends, and reputation. But then, Sophie sees something so frightening she lets out a blood-curdling scream—and finds herself stuck in a bizarre parallel world where nothing is safe and deadly creatures lurk just out of sight, waiting for her to close her eyes and sleep...forever.

Could this world be real? Or does insanity run in the family...?
Ah, I love the Soul Screamers series. It's totally original- come on, do you guys know any other series about banshees? No? Thought so. The wait for the sixth book is unbearable, and I am sooo happy Rachel decided to write this novella! And thanks so much to Rachel @ Fiktshun who sent me a copy!

'Never to Sleep' is about Sophie, Kaylee's obnoxious cousin. I have to admit- I hate Sophie. She's spoiled, she's mean, she's annoying... The list goes on. But I actually began to like her after this novella. She proved herself to be more than just a stuck-up dancer. Sophie was resourceful, and she used her brains to escape the Netherworld. She was calm and collected under pressure, and she handled herself nicely. 

This novella was full of action and suspense. Sophie, along with Luca, the new guy who's not entirely human (I won't spoil his 'specie' for you.) find themselves trapped in the Netherworld. And of course, they have to face different kinds of creepy Netherworld creatures. There wasn't a dull moment in this novella. It's chock-full of blood pumping moments, and you just can't finish it fast enough. 

Of course, its also filled with laugh out loud moments. The last few pages? I loved it. Sophie really stood up for herself, and I just loved how she took down Peyton, her manipulative co-dancer. Plus, there were also sweet- and sexy- scenes between Sophie and Luca. 

My only complain about this book? It was too short! Though I guess that's why its called a novella and not a novel... But still. I want more of (I never thought I'd say this!) Sophie and Luca!

I give Never to Sleep 5 stars. This was such an awesome way to start the new year! :D If only all the books I'll read this year will be as awesome as this was. This book was a quick, fun read. I devoured it in less than an hour! Once I started, I couldn't put it down at all. Though now I kinda regret it, because now I have nothing left to read until Before I Wake comes out... Oh well. Guess I'll just find a way to grab an ARC! :) I mean, look, the cover is amazing!


Happy New Year! :D

Jen @ Midnight Book Thief
----------

So, read this novella as soon - and as fast- as I did? Enjoyed it? Hated it? Let me know!

Care to share? 

1 comment:

  1. I keep seeing the covers for this series everywhere (you're right, it is amazing!) and still haven't read any of Rachel's books. Maybe this is a sign that I should. :]

    Nausicaa @Inkytopia

    ReplyDelete

Don't just sit there with your mouth hanging open. Flies will get in. Why don't you leave a comment instead and allow me to get a peek of those thoughts running in that brain of yours?